The accompanying huge step is to prepare for licensing to Be A Mortgage Broker. The Secure and Fair Enforcement Licensing Act (SAFE) requires states to license all mortgage loan originators. This is generally called Title V of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008. Along these lines, you need to get an individual license from the Nationwide Multi-State Licensing System and Registry (NMLS).